Each year as Lent approaches, I wonder, “What shall I sacrifice this year…” I’m often left wondering and wondering then eventually coming up short! (One year, I gave up pork and I haven’t had much pork since. In fact, I haven’t had pork in over a year…) Some years as you see, I do pretty good. Other times, I don’t make it a week. This year however, I am determined to get through my sacrifice as a “winner…”
So, this year, I’ve decided to give up Facebook (FB) and peanuts. Many that I’ve told chuckled and some even down right laughed at me. How uncool is that!? Pffffffffft…One guy in particular said, “I can think of many other things to give up than FB…” WOW! Now that was blunt! Well, to that, I say, “This is my sacrifice to make and not for anyone else…”
I came up with this because of two comments. One constantly coming from my son, “You must be on FB again…” And the other coming from a friend of mine; he said, “You’re addicted to FB, no addiction is ever good.” I laughed both comments off until I really thought about it. I ‘kinda’ was always on FB and perhaps I am a bit addicted. I would wake up at 2am, run to the restroom, get back in bed and like clockwork, get on FB! FB is like the Big Apple; it never sleeps and neither did I!
So today, as I start Day 5 of this sacrifice, I can tell you, this has not been easy…for several reasons.
- In addition to a good laugh, I use FB for recruiting and marketing for work via status updates and group postings.
- I depend on some of my groups for diet tips, workout tips, and just overall support.
- It’s my downtime go to App!
Over the past few days, I’ve wished that I could update my status with something funny that happened, I miss my morning inspirational crew, I wanted to post this super cool video I saw on Youtube, and hell, I simply wanted to be nosy on Valentines Day! #DontJudgeME! LOL
How I Prepped
- I turned of all of my FB notifications that came directly to my phone the night before!
- I blocked FB from laptops, phone, tablet, and my son’s desktop!
- I turned off all FB updates coming directly to my e-mail.
- I wrote down any birthdays that will happen from now until Easter Sunday (Although I can’t find the list but many of those people, I don’t have there phone numbers.)
- Any events that I was schedule to attend via FB is now on my calendar of events on my desktop and I have a contact person on the “inside” to keep me in the loop of any changes! (What ever happened to evites? Ugh…LOL)
- Oh and I collected all phone numbers and e-mail addresses that I absolutely needed (and wanted!) Some is still in my FB inbox…Oooops, I’ll get with y’all come April!
As far as my diet is concerned, I am using My Fitness Pal more and tracking my workout as well! I also started C25K (again) and I’m tracking that via Run Keeper. I am still getting used to this App! There’s been some changes since I last used it but it serves it purpose. For business purposes, I am actually having more face time with clients and potential clients so, I can’t even use FB as my crutch there. I’ve also signed up for LinkedIn, I’ll work on updating my profile this week and continue getting use to the site. I’ll share my profile next time with you all. My goal is to become a bit more familiar with the website and build lasting business connections.
All in all, I guess it’s not so bad after all for giving up FB! Peanuts…we’ll have to revisit this one in a few days. As I predicted, this would be the most difficult one for me. The struggle is real…I have a full container in my kitchen, peanut butter in the cabinets, and I don’t really eat chocolate like THAT, but I have some Reese’s Pieces in my truck! All of which are untouched…SO FAR! We’ll see how this goes…I’ll update you all on that within the next few days. Until then, be blessed darlings. 🙂